Patchy rain nearby · 75°

Marriage Records

Learn how to request and receive a certified marriage record.


Certified copies are available for $15.00 to persons of entitlement. Cash, check, or credit card are accepted.

Non-certified copies of marriage records are available, for a fee of $1.00.

Available Records

Beginning July 1, 1997, certified copies of marriage certificates became available through the Recorder's Office. Marriages from 1954 to the current date are available electronically in all counties in Iowa, regardless of where the event occurred.


You will need a valid photo ID or driver's license, be at least 18 years old and have entitlement.

Ways to Apply

  • Apply in person. Make sure to bring your valid ID or driver’s license and a check or money order (payable to Winnebago County Recorder) or credit/debit card for payment.
  • Applying by mail. If applying by mail, you must fill out the application with your signature notarized, and we need a copy of your valid ID or driver's license and a check or money order (payable to the Winnebago County Recorder).
  • If you would like Winnebago County to process your request, please mail your notarized completed application and payment to:

    Winnebago County Recorder
    126 S. Clark St.
    Forest City, IA 50436
  • Order by phone call State Vital Records-Vital Check at 1-866-809-0290

If you have any questions, please call 641-585-2094


If you do not have a valid driver's license or ID, please provide alternative identification. View Identity Documents for acceptable forms of alternative IDs.


Direct and Tangible Interest

Back · Recorder